A logo is often called a quiet brand ambassador, and it is impossible to disagree with it. It identifies the business as a powerful marketing tool. Without it, it isn’t easy to conduct successful business activities. The power of the logo lies in its visual character. And there’s no right to make a mistake.
Logo: What and Why?
The logo is one of the main elements of the corporate style, presented in graphic form. It is an essential part of the brand and significantly influences the company’s public perception, acting as an obligatory part of its personalization. It is no secret the importance of the first impression, and a unique sign helps to create it in the best possible way. Statistics show that 48% of consumers become more loyal to the brand if they like its visual representation.
In addition, a logo is essential for any organization because:
- It is an effective tool for creating a corporate style.
- Helps build confidence in the quality of a product or service.
- characterizes the professionalism of the company;
- Attracts the attention of the target audience
- Allows you to stand out in the environment of competitors.
- Serves as a protection against fakes and fakes.
The development of a brand symbol is the best investment in your own business, from which side do not look. And it is better not to try to create it on your own, using advice from the Internet, indicating where to draw the logo, and how best to do it. A serious approach, professional experience, and creative vision are essential here. All this can be found if you choose a freelancing design.
Trademark & logo: What do you need to know about the differences?
Very often, all these concepts are referred to as synonyms, entirely replacing them with each other. However, in reality, they have different meanings, which is necessary to understand the designer and the customer.
The logo is considered to be a graphic representation of the name of the company or brand. No more and no less. There is no place for icons and pictograms. Visual elements may be present at most.
The trademark complements the logo, representing an auxiliary identifier. Often they are used together, but there are cases and separate applications. And here it is appropriate to remember Nike Corporation with its famous swollen in the form of a tick.
Read more about Trademarks here.
The emblem is a symbolic designation of an idea or concept. Its main difference is that, in most cases, it is developed without a commercial purpose. But this fact does not exclude the use of the logo to promote the product.
Together, these concepts refer to corporate symbols that increase brand or organization awareness in the eyes of consumers.
Logo: What does it mean?
There is still no transparent logo that satisfies everyone without leaving any questions or doubts. Therefore, there are different lists in the network, which in principle have standard features.
Formally, the following types of logos can be singled out:
- Font (Lenovo, ECCO);
- Calligraphy (Carlsberg, Disney);
- With graphics (Amazon, Intel);
- Logo (H’M, HBO);
- With a die (Samsung, Ikea);
- Block (Microsoft, Nestle);
More interesting and valuable is the division into shapes. Often it is in it that lies the mystery of the perception of the brand ID by a potential audience. And then it is essential to understand psychology, which carries with it a form:
- Circle – friendship, unity;
- Ring — determination, strength;
- Curve – creativity, and adaptability;
- Square – stability, and permanence;
- Triangle – knowledge, and spirituality;
- Straight lines – strength and reliability;
- Abstraction – mystery and originality.
It is necessary to consider not only the color performance but also the shape of the future logo. Behind the latter hide specific images and memories that pop up in the minds of consumers. And it will be a significant omission not to take advantage of it.
What is the power of the logo?
If we talk specifically about what the logo influences in business, there will be a long list. First of all, it promotes awareness. And it’s about his visual nature. Pictures are more welcome by the public as opposed to text. By creating a one-quality image, you can save a lot on further promotion.
Here’s what marketing is about. It is he who benefits most from a good logo. The latter is not only an element of the image but also an effective means of communication. With skillful use, it can significantly increase sales, playing exclusively on the loyalty of the audience.
Acting as the main symbol of the company, the logo allows you to adjust to the competition. However, only if it is unique and memorable. And it also serves as a kind of shield against unscrupulous manufacturers trying to forge a product with a well-established reputation.
It also gives guarantees to consumers about a certain status of a product or service. Non-nomeim products are not in such demand as branded products. And this, too, lies the merit of the trademark symbol. Do you still doubt its necessity?
How to design a logo: Some tips for Freelancers
The importance of a graphic ID for any business seems to be precise. But how to create that catchy and exciting mark? This is the area of responsibility of the designer and the people acting as customers.
It is impossible to say precisely how much the logo is being developed and what it should consist of. To be a truly successful marketing tool, it is necessary to think through its concept, which is not limited to design creativity but is often based on the psychology of consumer behavior.
Naturally, there are no strict laws and principles, the implementation of which will lead to success. The development of the main symbol of the organization can work completely different techniques, depending on the group of goods or the type of service. But, there are still general design tips.
There is no need to try to create another work of art. The market for goods and services is neither a museum nor a gallery. Other factors, such as simplicity and lightness, are valued here. The object should be quickly remembered, so it is essential not to overload it with unnecessary details, boldly cutting off unnecessary. At the same time, it should be understood without unnecessary associations. Customers should not wonder how to decipher the logo and fantasize about it.
And it’s better to focus on the color scheme. The shade is an essential component that can catch the look and be remembered. Choosing color is a whole science that must be grasped to create something worthwhile. One of the critical rules is the ban on the use of more than three shades. Look for the rest of the information in specialized literature because it is quite voluminous.
Don’t try to copy already known and successful projects. Even the slightest hint of the famous brand threatens to lose reputation and success in doing business. Aim for textual and artistic uniqueness.
And also to universality. The created graphic object should look spectacular on any medium – from the stamp and printed brochure to the advertising billboard. Consider typographical features.
And be sure to fill the design masterpiece with meaning. Strong logos indeed conceal hidden messages and messages, which, in particular, attract the attention of the audience. Yes, it’s not easy to invest in a small lot. But that’s why not all logos turn out to be successful.
Graphic Success: Top Successful Logos
To be clear about what works in logo design, it’s worth getting to know good examples on a global scale:
- Nike. The most classic instance that can’t be remembered in this context. So simple, and so to the point! The famous graphic object even has its name – swoosh. It refers to the sound you hear when an object passes by.
- Google. A striking example of the violation of all the canons of design. But how it works! And if you consider the entire brand style, traceable in all products Google, it becomes clear why this brand is still on the ear.
- Mastercard. Despite specific design changes that have been made throughout the brand’s existence, the intersection of bright circles is recognized all over the world. They are invariably associated with payment cards.
- McDonald’s. The golden arches cannot be confused with anything else. They remained unchanged even as the company improved the logo. And this is not much or little – as many as seven times! Agree that being in an unfamiliar place, seeing them, you immediately understand what is hidden behind them.
- Playboy. Rabbit with a butterfly over the years of existence has turned from an ordinary logo into a well-established symbol, carrying a particular set of designations and characteristics. And notice, you don’t always have to puzzle over a color solution.
Artistic Failure: Top Failed Logos
Naturally, history knows many failed designs that you need to know to not step on the same rake. Often they sin a failed rebranding, designed to modernize the corporate style or breathe new life into it. Or – a meager imagination of the designer or customer, which is much more developed in the client public. So, the top failed design objects look like this:
- 2012 Olympic Games. In the history of their holding, only London has managed to distinguish itself by the losing design of the logo. It is still unknown what went wrong, but in a strange picture saw anything, but not the primary purpose. For example, a broken swastika. What do you see?
- Pepsi. Surprisingly, too, is in this list, and all because its permanent tricolor circle to many consumers resembles a person with apparent signs of obesity. A couple of strokes, and now the “new” version quickly spread across the network.
- Airbnb. After the logo change received a barrage of criticism from users who were ingested in the new sign of the genitals. The company itself was accused of vulgarity and long stormed by angry messages.
- Gap. In this fashion company also decided to redesign but failed. Customers disliked the new performance, that the management had to return the old sketch to calm the angry audience.
- Juventus FC. Determined to upgrade the emblem, the club caused a wave of anger among the fans. However, the more minimalist and modern version, presented as replacing the old image, was not to taste. There were symbols of the power of the FC in the form of a crown and a bull. Sometimes tradition and history outweigh innovation.
How to legitimize a logo: Legal Nuances
Is it necessary to register a logo at all because many companies do well without this official action? It’s up to you. No one is safe from entrepreneurs who want to make money on someone else’s popularity. What’s more, they can issue copyright to your logo if you don’t bother to do so. And it’s not a joke.
Legalization has apparent advantages:
- Protection from unscrupulous copying;
- The possibility of recovering monetary compensation for copyright infringement;
- Simplifying the advertising campaign in any media.
Naturally, the registration process will require time, money, and effort. We will have to collect many documents, pay fees and wait for all examinations and inspections. And first, to apply to the patent office, you should make sure that 100% uniqueness of its brand name. It can be achieved when fonts and logos are developed from scratch. Excellent studios and rating freelancers can offer such services. Such work will not cost cheap, but the result is worth it!
Every logo element should be unique:
- The name
- Color solution
- The location of the parts
- The shape of the icons.
To create such an object will need a real specialist, which will help the freelancing exchange. Rating artists, colorful portfolios, and feedback from other employers will help to make the right choice.
Deciding to issue copyright, be prepared that the procedure can take about a year. As a result, you will be given a security certificate. At the same time, its validity is ten years, after which it is necessary to apply for an extension of copyright.
The logo is much more important than just a set of letters, icons, and symbols. It helps to tell the history of the company and present it to the world around you. Once, having spent time investing in the creation and registration of an individual, original, artistic object, you can bring the business to a new level of recognition and profitability. Hundreds of successful brands around the world are proof of this. And you have the opportunity to be among them.